If you’re anything like me, you’ve switched phones and computers several times over the years. You’ve probably accumulated huge libraries of music, and you’ve probably hit some snags when you’ve tried to access these files across devices and platforms.
I feel your pain. I’m a devoted Android user, but I’m a big fan of Apple products, especially the iPod and iPod touch. As a result, I’ve got lots of music in my iTunes library, and while I can play these files any time I want on my computer, that’s not the case on my phone. If you had an iPhone in the past but switched to an Android, you know exactly what I mean.
There are some great workarounds for this problem, I’ve tried applications like doubleTwist-Sync and TunesGo, but since I don’t like the hassle of plugging in my phone and syncing my music, I wanted to see if there was another solution.
After a little bit of research, I decided to put younity to the test to see if it would let me play my iTunes music on my Samsung Note. If you’re not familiar with younity, it’s a mobile app that lets you create your own home media server. When you install younity on your phone and computer, you can access the music, videos, photos, and documents that are stored on your computer using your mobile phone.
I actually discovered a lot of cool things you can do with younity, but first, let’s look at how younity can solve your iTunes music problems.
Here’s what you can do with younity on Android:
- Stream music from iTunes on your computer to your mobile phone (without taking up any storage space)
- Browse your music by Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, and Podcasts
- Merge iTunes accounts – this is an awesome feature if you have more than one computer or share accounts with friends for family
In order to do all of this, you have to set up younity, luckily it’s not too difficult:
- Download and install younity (getyounity.com) on your computer – this is key, you need to install it on your computer first!
- Create an account/register
- younity auto scans all of your files, so just hang on a sec and let it do its thing, you’ll get a notification when it’s done Note: If you only want your music files on your phone (and not your videos, documents, and photos) just point younity to your music folder
To Play Your iTunes Music:
- Download the app on your phone
- Open younity and tap music
- Select what you want to listen to (artist, song, playlist) and turn up the volume!
So after a short setup process, younity is an easy solution to get your iTunes music on your phone, but as I said, there are some other cool features.
Here’s what else you can do with younity:
- Post photos from your computer directly to Instagram
- Share photos from your computer in your favorite messaging apps (WhatsApp, KIK, Facebook Messenger, Viber)
- Access and stream your video collection
- Play GoPro videos on your phone
How to post photos to Instagram
If you let younity scan all of your media during the initial setup, you should be able to see all of the photos from your computer in the app.
- Open the younity app
- Select Photos
- Find and select the photo you want to share
- Tap the triple dot icon in the bottom right
- Select “Export”
- Select the Instagram icon
Note: In the Export menu you can also send photos through text or email, and post to Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter.
How to Stream Your Movies on Your Phone
Once you have your movies files in younity, this is a very simple process:
- Open the app
- Select Videos
- Select Movies
- Tap the movie you want to play
You can also stream movies to your TV from your phone. The process is a little different, depending on which type of phone you have, but there are some easy to follow instructions here:
All in all, younity is a pretty cool solution to play your iTunes music, and if you have a lot of other media on your computer (videos, photos, documents), it’s an easy way to access all of your stuff when you’re away from your computer.
I’ve always been worried about saving a lot of media on my phone. Videos, music, and photos take up space, and I don’t want to have to buy more storage. With younity, all of the files are in the app (stored on your computer) so they don’t take up any additional space on your phone.
Just remember, if you want to access your files, your computer needs to be on and connected to the Internet, this is easy to forget but shouldn’t be a problem for most people.